These quinoa tabbouleh stuffed tomatoes are a unique twist on the classic tabbouleh with the addition of vinegar and quinoa. These stuffed tomatoes are full of flavor and are super easy to make! They make the perfect party appetizer or simply delicious side.
Quinoa Tabbouleh Stuffed Tomatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Quinoa:
- 1 cup dried white quinoa
1 3/4 cups filtered water
1 unsalted or low sodium vegetable bouillon cube
1 teaspoon sea salt
For the Stuffed Tomatoes:
- 8 large, 2 medium, or 18 small tomatoes, tops cut off and insides scooped out
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 cup or 1 small red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
1 tablespoon mint, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
To Make the Quinoa:
- Rinse the quinoa well then add all ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then mash the bouillon and cover the pot, turn to medium-low, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- When finished cooking, remove from heat and let sit with the lid on for 5 more minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool completely.
To Make the Tabbouleh:
- Peel the cucumber and scoop out the seeds. Cut into strips lengthwise and cut into small pieces. Add to a large bowl. Mince the red onions, mint, and parsley and add to the bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together both kinds of vinegar, olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt, and pepper. When the quinoa is cool, mix it into the vegetable really well. Let sit for at least 10 minutes to let the flavors meld together. Set aside.
- Slice the tops off the tomatoes and scoop out the insides.
- Scoop the salad onto the tomatoes and garnish with small mint or parsley leaves.