The “meatballs” are hearty, flavorful, and delicious! They hold together really nicely and are a great addition to any spaghetti night.
Quinoa Lentil Meatballs [Vegan]
- 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 2 cups cooked and cooled green lentils
- 1/2 onion – chopped (sauteed if desired)
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor combine the onion, garlic, oats, tomato paste, parsley, basil, nutritional yeast, and fennel seed. Process for about 1 minute until all ingredients are combined.
- Add 1.5 cups each of the quinoa and lentils and process with the other ingredients. You want this to be somewhat smooth — just easy enough to ball up so it sticks together.
- Mix in the remaining 1/2 cups of lentil and quinoa until all combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pre-heat a pan with about 1 teaspoon olive oil. Roll lentil quinoa mixture into balls using about 2 tablespoons per ball. Place on the hot pan, rotating about every minute to make sure all sides get brown.
- Once all meatballs have been browned, you can either enjoy them at this point, or bake them in a 350ºF oven for about 15 minutes to dry out a little bit more.
- Serve with your favorite tomato sauce and spaghetti!