Need the perfect dessert to bring to a fall event? Try these pumpkin whoopie pies! Sweet, decadent maple cream cheese frosting is sandwiched between two fluffy pumpkin cakes. Not only do you get the fantastic flavors of pumpkin and maple together, but you also get the warm flavors of cinnamon and cloves baked into the cakes! Yum.
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies With Maple Cream Cheese Frosting [Vegan]
For the Whoopie Pies:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 1-2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup packed coconut sugar
- 1 cup vegan butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons vegan egg replacer mixed with 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3/4 15-ounce pumpkin purée (chilled)
For the Maple Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
To Make the Whoopie Pies:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a whoopie pie pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted vegan butter, egg replacer, coconut sugar, and apple cider vinegar until incorporated.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove. Whisk until all ingredients are well combined. Add to the wet. Whisk in the pumpkin purée.
- Divide the batter evenly among cupcake moulds. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven, set aside on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Maple Cream Cheese Frosting:
- While the cakes are cooling, make the filling. In the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat together the cream cheese and vegan butter. Mix these together until smooth and lump-free. It will still be pretty thick.
- Add in the vanilla and maple extracts. Mix quickly until combined. Then, sift into the bowl using a sieve, the powdered sugar, and cinnamon.
- Gently mix together the sugar and the butter-cream cheese mixture. Don't over mix as the consistency will become runny.Stop when the frosting looks as thick as store-bought frostings.
- Spread the frosting in heaping tablespoons onto the center of a cookie and top with another, similarly-sized cookie. Press down slightly using a turning motion so that the frosting filling spreads out to the edges. Repeat until all the cookies are used.
- Place whoopie pies in the refrigerator for roughly 30 minutes to set before serving.