Savory, cheesy, and pumpkin-y, these rice balls are everything you never knew you wanted.
Pumpkin Sage Rice Balls [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- Generous 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan parmesan
- 2-3 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 3/4 cup vegan mozzarella
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 scallion minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- To make the rice balls, mix together 1/2 cup flour, sage, vegan parmesan, nutritional yeast, and cinnamon.
- Add the pumpkin, minced garlic and onion, then toss the mixture on top of the cooled rice, folding in the mixture. Do not mash the rice.
- Place oil in a large pot and set to high.
- Create two bowls, one with the bread crumbs and another with 1/2 cup the flour. Place the vegan mozzarella in the center and shape the ball around it. Lightly coat with flour then panic and set aside to fry.
- When the oil is 350°F, add the balls, 1 at a time. Fry each for around 1 minute on all sides, turning it until evenly golden brown all over.
- Carefully remove balls from oil and let drain on a cooling rack above paper towels until cool enough to handle. Repeat with the remaining rice balls. Serve warm and top with fresh sage.