Moon pies made gluten-free ad packed with protein! Yummy cookie butter and gooey marshmallow fluff are sandwiched between two crispy protein shortbread cookies, then dipped in chocolate! Dipping these in more cookie butter is perfectly acceptable.
Protein Cookie Butter Moon Pies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Shortbread Cookies:
- 2 scoops vegan vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour, finely ground
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1-2 tablespoons water
For the Marshmallow Fluff:
- 1 cup vegan mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon sugar-free maple syrup
For the Rest:
- 10 teaspoons cookie butter
- 1/3 cup vegan sugar-free chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all of your shortbread ingredients into a mixer and mix using a paddle attachment until a dough forms. If dough is too dry, add another tablespoon of water.
- Roll out dough until it's about 1/8-inch thick and cut out cookies using a 2-inch round cookie cutter or a lid to a spice container. Roll out remaining dough and cut out more cookies until you have no more dough left. Recipe should make about 20 cookies.
- Place the cut-out cookie dough onto the baking sheet and bake for 8-11 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cooled, place the marshmallows into a double boiler (glass bowl over a small pot of water on medium heat) until the marshmallows start to melt. Stir until just small clumps are left. Add in the sugar-free maple syrup and continue mixing until smooth. Marshmallow fluff will still be very sticky. Turn heat down to low while you spread fluff onto 10 of the cookies.
- On the remaining cookies, spread 1 teaspoon of cookie butter in an even layer, then press the cookies together to make a cookie butter, marshmallow sandwich.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil together until smooth. Dip each cookie sandwich into the chocolate until completely covered and let the excess drip off. Place it back on the parchment paper. Repeat until you have covered each cookie sandwich in chocolate. Place all the moon pies in the freezer for 20 minutes for chocolate to set before serving.