These pretzel-wrapped cheese dogs will bring you right back to your childhood summers. They are wrapped in a perfectly textured homemade dough, sprinkled with cheese inside and out, and then served with a zesty spicy mustard.
Pretzel Wrapped ‘Cheese’ Dogs [Vegan]
For the Dough
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt (reduce amount if using table salt)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces vegan butter, melted
- Vegetable oil, for the pan
- 10 cups water
- 3/4 cups baking soda
- 2 cups vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegan egg powder plus 1 tablespoon water
- 8-10 vegan hot dogs your choice
For the Mustard:
- In a standing mixer, combine the warm water, sugar, salt, and yeast. Allow this to sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Once the mixture has risen slightly, put the flour in the bowl of the mixer.
- Add the yeast slurry, melted butter, and using the dough attachment/hook knead on low speed just until the dough comes together. Increase the speed to medium and knead until dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl (about 4-5 minutes).
- Remove the dough from the bowl, spray it with nonstick spray, then return the dough back into the bowl and cover it with a tea towel.
- Let rise for 1 hour in a draft-free, warm place, or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and brush them with oil. Set them aside.
- Bring 10 cups of water and baking soda to a rolling boil and in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.
- Meanwhile, turn the dough out onto an oiled work surface and divide it into small pieces the size of a golf ball.
- Roll each dough ball into a rope, top it with cheese, and wrap it around the full length of the hot dog, pinching the ends onto themselves to prevent them from unwrapping.
- One by one, place the pretzel dogs into the boiling soda water for 30 seconds.
- Using a large slotted spoon or spatula remove them from the water and place onto prepared baking sheet. Brush on with vegan egg and water mixture and sprinkle with salt and additional cheese.
- Place them in the oven and bake them until golden brown in color, about 12-14 minutes
- Whisk all the ingredients for the mustard sauce in a bowl and serve it with the hot dogs.