Ever have a craving for hash browns but don’t want to go through all the steps to make them? Well you’re in luck, because this recipe gives you all of the flavor and non of the fuss. All you need is a basic blender and a bowl and you’re on your way to fast, hashbrowny goodness in about 5-10 minutes. You can add in other veggies like spinach, or use half sweet potato half russet potato. Serve with condiments of choice, though ketchup is the good ol American standby.
Potato Leek Hash Brown Pancakes With Homemade Ketchup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup russet potato, chopped (skins on)
- 1 cup leek, chopped (or onion)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup flour (GF all purpose or wheat)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 c agave syrup
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 cup water
- For pancakes, combine potato, leek, and water in a blender. Blend for a few seconds to turn into a slurry, you don't want it completely creamy, a few small bits are good.
- Combine flour, salt, black pepper, bell pepper, and parsley in a medium mixing bowl and stir. Add potato slurry and stir well until combined. You will have a batter.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Use a nonstick skillet, or use 1 tsp of medium heat oil to coat pan. Add a ladle of batter at a time to hot pan and cook until edges begin to dry out a bit and its starting to crisp on bottom, usually 1-2 minutes. Flip over and cook on other side, 2-3 minutes until browning and cooked through. Taste test for doneness. Transfer to a plate to keep warm and cook remaining pancakes.
- If making ketchup, simply combine all ingredients tomato paste through water in a small sauce pan and whisk to combine. Simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes until fragrant and bubbling and transfer to a bowl to cool. Store in fridge and use as needed.