Complex carbs are common in a whole food plant-based diet because of their high fiber, mineral and vitamin content. For vegans, it represents around 75% of our daily calorie intake. This corn soup recipe is made of complex vegan carbs! It’s comforting, creamy, sweet and delicious!
Creamy Potato and Corn Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon, coconut oil (or 2 tablespoons olive oil)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- clove of garlic, minced
- 15 baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced into cubes
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels (keep a bit more to garnish)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 green onion, chopped, to garnish (optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the coconut oil and let it melt.
- Add the white onion and garlic.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the red potatoes and red bell pepper.
- Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender (around 5-10 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes)
- Add the corn kernels, vegetable broth, and the vegan milk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for another 5 minutes to warm up the ingredients.
- Add the ingredients to a blender and blend. Keep the consistency chunky.
- Transfer the soup to bowls, garnish with corn kernels and green onion.