This burger is bursting with flavor! It has a creamy radicchio slaw made with homemade avocado mayonnaise, savory Portobello mushroom, smoky tempeh bacon, AND caramelized onion. A little messy, but undeniably worth it!
Portobello Burger With Caramelized Onions and Tempeh Bacon [Vegan]
For the Mushrooms:
- 2 Portobello mushrooms
- Coconut oil, to brush
- Pepper, to taste
- Herbs de Provence
For the Caramelized Onions:
- 1 large white onion
- 1 heaped teaspoon of coconut oil
For the Tempeh Bacon:
- 1/3 cup tempeh
- 3 teaspoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Siracha
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon walnut oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon coconut oil, to fry
For the Slaw:
- 1 avocado
- 2 cups of sliced radicchio
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- A splash of agave nectar
- A splash of soy milk
- Garlic powder, onion powder, and salt, to taste
- 2 burger buns
- Preheat your oven to 390°F.
- Start by thinly slicing your onion and radicchio.
- Then remove the stems from your mushrooms, brush them with coconut oil, and season with pepper and herbs. Place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Then place the mushrooms in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, flipping them over halfway through. Once they are done, add a little bit of salt.
- While the mushrooms are in the oven, start caramelizing the onion. Simply heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cover in oil. Stir them every 4-5 minutes. It will take a while for them to caramelize, so you can continue to prepare the bacon and the slaw in the meantime, but don’t forget to stir.
- For the bacon, slice the tempeh as thinly as possible and lay them out in a dish. In a small bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients for the bacon except for the oil. Cover the tempeh strips in marinade and let them sit for about 10 minutes. Then heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat and fry them for about 1-2 minutes on each to side until crispy. Let them dry off on a piece of kitchen paper towel.
- For the slaw, add all the ingredients except the radicchio in a food processor and blend until a smooth, mayonnaise-like sauce forms. Mix the sauce together with the sliced radicchio.
- Once everything is done you are ready to assemble your burger. Start with the slaw, then add the mushroom, next is the ketchup, then the bacon, and finally top it off with the onions.