This Portobello and peanut banh mi sandwiches are pure perfection. They're stuffed with tender marinated Portobello mushroom strips, crisp vegetables and crunchy peanuts on a soft baguette smeared with vegan mayonnaise and Sriracha. There's also a burst of flavor from fresh herbs, heat, and creaminess. These flavor-balanced sandwiches are perfect for packing for lunch.
Portobello and Peanut Banh Mi Sandwiches[Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Portobello and Peanut Banh Mi Sandwiches[Vegan]
- 2 single serve baguettes
- 2 large Portabello mushrooms
- 1 cup water, plus 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- A pinch of chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons cane sugar
- 1/3 cup toasted peanuts
- 1 daikon radish
- 2 carrots
- 2 baby cucumbers or 1 large cucumber
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Fresh cilantro, mint, and basil
How to Prepare Portobello and Peanut Banh Mi Sandwiches[Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Slice the mushrooms into strips and arrange in an oven-proof dish.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup warm water, tamari, sesame oil ,and rice vinegar. Grate in the ginger and add the chili flakes, then mix well.
- Pour tamari mixture over mushrooms and roast for 10 minutes, flip then roast another 10 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are roasting, boil the remaining cup of water in a small saucepan.
- Julienne the carrots, slice the daikon, quarter the cucumbers, and wash the herbs.
- Crush the toasted peanuts in a mortar and pestle.
- Once the water is boiling, add the sugar and apple cider vinegar and transfer to a sterile jar. Add the carrots and allow to sit uncovered until needed.
- Slice open the baguette, saucing with mayonnaise and sriracha as desired.
- Arrange mushroom slices on the prepared baguette against both top and bottom of the bun to avoid soggy bread. Continue with layering in the cucumbers, carrots, and daikon before adding the herbs and toasted peanuts
- Wrap up in parchment paper and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.