Healthy fries and a delicious dip? Sounds like the perfect snack to us! In this recipe, polenta is sliced and baked into crispy wedges and served with a minty avocado dip.
Polenta Fries With Mint Avocado Dip [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Fries:
- 1/2 cup polenta
- Cornflour, for coating
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Dried oregano
- Herbs of your choice
- Oil, for spraying the oven dish
For the Mint Avocado Dip:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 20-25 leafs of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, to taste
To Make the Polenta Fries:
- Bring the broth to a boil. Gradually pour in polenta, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Reduce heat and simmer according to packaging. (As a rule, the smaller the grits the faster they are cooked). Stir constantly, do not leave your polenta unattended.
- When ready, pour the polenta onto a rectangular dish, level with a table knife, and allow to cool thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 320°F.
- Cut the polenta into French fry-size slices. Separate the slices from each other and lightly roll them in cornmeal or corn flour.
- Cover the oven grid with a parchment. Drizzle with oil. Arrange polenta wedges on it and place the grid in the oven.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until wedges become golden brown. Remove the grid from the oven and let polenta cool down before serving.
To Make the Mint Avocado Dip:
- Wash, peel, and cut avocado.
- Blend all the ingredients in a food processor. Add salt if needed.
If you do not plan to eat the avocado dip straight after making, place it in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid, otherwise it might brown.