I love the aroma and flavor of broiled peppers, they come to life in the oven making each bite exciting and flavorful! Poblano chili peppers, a vibrant orange bell pepper, and big onion slices are broiled and served over steaming hot rice with garbanzo beans. I hope you enjoy these Poblano Chili Bowls!
Poblano Chili Bowls [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 Cups White Rice
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Garbanzo Beans (equivalent to 1 can, drained and rinsed)
- 2 Poblano Chili Peppers
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 lime, freshly squeezed
- Opt: 2 Serrano or Jalapeño peppers
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- Place the rice and water in a rice cooker, press cook and in about 30 minutes, the rice should be done. Once done, add garbanzo beans, stir in the beans and the fresh squeezed lime, keep lid on to infuse heat. If using brown rice, time increases. This may also be made on the stove.
- While the rice cooks, preheat the oven to broil. Line a baking sheet/pan with parchment paper or lightly grease. Wash the vegetables.
- Slice the poblano chili peppers lengthwise, remove the seeds and ribbing with the knife, carefully as the seeds are spicy! If you like it spicier, leave them on, bake them and then remove as preferred before serving or leave, my husband loves to find spicy seeds in his.
- If including the serrano or jalapeño peppers, cut the end off, leave seeds for extra spice and bake whole.
- Slice the orange bell pepper lengthwise, remove the seeds and ribbing. Slice the onion into thick wide slices. Place the sliced pepper and onions on the prepared pan. Broil for 10 minutes, flip and broil 10 minutes. Adjust time as needed, peppers and onion will have a wonderful scent and have blackened portions, yum!
- Remove the peppers from the oven, allow to cool to touch. Slice into bite size pieces. While the peppers are broiling, heat the tortillas and place in a clean dish towel or tortilla warmer. Set aside.
- Divide the rice and beans between four bowls. Top with sliced broiled veggies. Serve with warm tortillas and favorite sauce(s) on the side. Dig in!!!