Saturated with umami flavor, this pizza hummus is like a roasted tomato puree, voluptuous “cheese” sauce, and the creamiest hummus possible all wrapped up in one spreadable, dippable package. Just a touch of red pepper flakes lend a faint, piquant bite, exactly the way a good slice ought to. The only thing missing is perhaps a paper-thin, crunchy crust, but just stock up on your favorite crackers, and it’s a done deal. “Real Food Really Fast: Delicious Plant-Based Recipes Ready in 10 Minutes Or Less” by Hannah Kaminsky is full of amazing and easy recipes. Check it out from Skyhorse Publishing!
Pizza Hummus [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves roasted or 1 clove raw garlic
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon barley miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4–3/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes into your food processor or blender. Add in the roasted garlic, and pulse briefly just to break down the two to a coarse pulp and make them easier to incorporate later. Follow that with all the other ingredients, and make sure you start with just ¼ teaspoon of salt now so that you can adjust it to taste later. Let the motor run until everything is mostly combined; it will probably look fairly dry. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and then with the motor running, begin to stream in the leftover oil that was packed with the sun-dried tomatoes, until it reaches a consistency you’re happy with. For a lighter option, simply use water instead. Taste, add more salt if needed, and then let the machine run for another 5–10 minutes, until the hummus is velvety smooth and creamy.
- To serve, try topping it with your favorite pizza add-ons, such as finely chopped vegan pepperoni, sliced olives, roasted red peppers, sautéed mushrooms, or anything else you like on your pie!