Pickled tuna is so easy to make and so delicious. You will want to make it so often!!
Pickled “Tuna” [Vegan]
- 1 cup of fine textured soy protein
- 1 sheet of nori seaweed
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 5-6 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- a pinch of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Cut the onion and garlic into small cubes. Heat the oven or a pan without oil and toast the nori seaweed until it changes from dark to lighter green. Crush the seaweed in the blender or simply break it with your hands in small pieces.
- Put the soy protein to in soak in warm water for 15 minutes to hydrate. After the soaking time drain it very well, squeezing with the hands to eliminate all the liquid.
- In a pot heat the oil and lightly fry the onion and garlic. When the onion begins to turn translucent add the bay leaf and nori seaweed and cook for about a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the textured soy to the pot and stir. Then add the paprika, sugar, salt and pepper. Remove and pour the wine, the vinegar and the soy sauce inside.
- We take the marinade to a boil and then cook over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes with the lid on and maintaining small continuous boil.
- Conserve textured soy vegan "tuna" in a closed container in the fridge, this way it usually lasts for a long time. Let it stand at least 5-6 hours before consuming, but the longer it is marinated, the more flavor it will have.