Pulled jackfruit is prepared with a deliciously spicy peri peri sauce in this recipe! You'll be going back for seconds (and maybe even thirds).
Peri Peri Pulled Jackfruit [Vegan]
- 10 ounces canned jackfruit (drained)
For the sauce:
- 1 red onion – chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 fresh chillies – stems removed (add or remove from this depending how spicy you like it)
- 2 ripe tomatoes (remove skins then chop)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- Blend all the peri peri sauce ingredients until a paste forms, then set it to one side.
- ‘Pull’ the jackfruit apart with either your clean hands or a fork.
- Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan, then add in the jackfruit and fry on a medium heat for about 4 minutes (make sure you keep stirring throughout this recipe).
- Then, add your desired amount of peri peri sauce, then fry for a further 10-15 minutes (or cook a little longer so it will crisp up).
- Serve and enjoy!
The sauce recipe will make more than 2 servings, while the jackfruit will make 2 – but you can store in the fridge for another time. For future use: be sure to cook it for about 10 minutes with whatever you want on a medium high heat.