This oven baked tofu is so delicious that you'll probably want to double or triple this recipe from the get-go. How do you do it? First, the tofu is pressed to remove all excess liquid and then it's marinated in a sauce of garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and rice vinegar with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. As it bakes, the edges get crispy and slightly caramelized. This oven baked tofu is perfect for serving in sandwiches, topping on salads, or as your protein for a meal with vegetables! So flavorful and filling!
Perfect Oil-Free Baked Tofu [Vegan]
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, tamari, or liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 10 or more turns of cracked black pepper
- Before you do anything, you must get as much liquid out of the tofu as possible.
- Take the tofu out of the package and rinse with water. Wrap the block of tofu in a clean towel, place itona pan, cover with a plate, and then cover the plate with something heavy, but not so heavy that it squashes the tofu and breaks it apart.
- Allow the tofu to sit like this for 30 minutes and up to an hour. You can drain the water and flip the tofu midway to help get as much liquid out as possible.
- While this is happening, you can make the marinade by placing all the other ingredients into a bowl and using a fork to combine.
- Once the water has been pressed out of the tofu, cut it into thin slabs. You can make them any size in length you want, just make sure they are at least 1/2-inch thick or so. This is also a good time to preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Arrange the pieces of tofu in the same pan (but make sure all the water is out of it and the pan is dry) and pour the marinade over the tofu. Be sure to add the sesame seeds, garlic, and ginger along with the marinade. You might think that they will burn, but because they are wet with marinade they will not.
- Now, the tofu can marinate in the refrigerator overnight, or you can marinate it for as little as 10 minutes and your baked tofu will still be super tasty. Just make sure that you turn over the tofu so that each piece soaks up some marinade.
- Now, the next trick is to line a baking sheet with parchment paper so that the tofu doesn’t stick to the baking sheet. Place each piece of tofu on the parchment paper in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes.
- Flip the tofu over and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and dig in, or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.