This galette tastes like a dream. Ripe pears are sliced thin and layered in a flaky crust, then brushed with a syrupy rooibos glaze just before being placed in the oven. As it bakes, the pears soften and caramelize just a bit and the crust turns golden. Garnish with confectioner's sugar and vegan whipped cream just before serving.
Pear Galette With Rooibos Glaze [Vegan]
- 1 cup, plus 3 heaping tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 heaping tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Scant 1/2 cup coconut oil, cold
- Approximately 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons rooibos tea
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla seeds
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup, for brushing
- 2 pears, cut in half length-wise, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
- Vegan whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 390°F.
- Place the flours, sugar, and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the coconut oil and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Start dripping in cold water while the machine is running until the dough comes together. Take it out, form a ball, flatten it into a disc, wrap in cling wrap, and place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Make the rooibos glaze by bringing the tea, sugar, and vanilla to a boil and reducing it until the consistency of syrup.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of baking paper. Arrange the pears on top, fanning them out, and leaving a bit of room from the sides.
- Bring the sides of the dough over the pears, smudging together any bits that tear. Brush the pears with the rooibos glaze and the dough with the maple syrup. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden. Serve warm with coconut whipped cream.