This is the ultimate orange cauliflower recipe. Even the cauliflower-hating, meat-and-potatoes-only friends of yours will love this recipe. The words "pretty damn good" and "the best I have ever tasted" will come out of their mouths. Batter up the cauliflower, fry them, and then toss them in a sweet and savory orange sauce for an amazing dish. Serve them with rice, other veggies, or whatever else you’ve got. This orange cauliflower recipe is bound to steal the show.
Orange Cauliflower [Vegan]
- 1 small head cauliflower cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
For the Batter:
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
For Orange Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Juice and zest of one large orange
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 green onion sliced thin (for garnish)
- To make the batter place the flaxseed meal in the water and set aside to thicken. Add the rest of the batter ingredients to a bowl. When the flaxseed meal has become gooey add it and stir. The batter will be about the consistency of pancake or waffle batter. Put the cauliflower chunks in the batter and toss them to ensure they are evenly coated.
- While you are preparing the batter heat the 1/2 cup oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot drop the coated cauliflower in and allow them to fry until golden brown on each side. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. (Note: as I did this I transferred the drained cauliflower to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and kept them warm in a 225-degree oven so that they did not get soggy as I prepared the rest of the dish).
- Once the frying is finished heat a new skillet over medium heat and add the tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the garlic and green onion and heat for a minute or so. Add the orange juice, orange zest, tamari and rice wine vinegar and salt and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower and toss to coat. Place on top of rice.
- To finish whisk the 1 teaspoon cornstarch into the 1/4 cup of orange juice and add to the same heated skillet. Add the brown sugar and whisk until it boils (about a minute). Pour over the cauliflower and garnish with green onions.