What makes this delicious Pho extra special is the rich broth. Lemongrass, anise pods, whole cloves, and plum vinegar creates a rich umami taste that compliments the soup perfectly.
Comforting Veggie and Tofu Pho [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Comforting Veggie and Tofu Pho [Vegan]
For the Broth:
- 4 quarts water
- 1 large onion, peeled & quartered
- 10 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4-inches fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 leek, cleaned and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 large turnips, peeled & quarted
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled & quartered
- 4 large carrots, peeled & cut in 1-inch slices
- 6 whole shiitakes
- 2 stalks lemon grass, trimmed, smashed & cut in thin slices
- 8 star anise pods
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 4 tablespoons ume plum vinegar
- 1 tablespoons ume plum paste
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 lime, juiced
For the Pho Noodle Soup:
- 1 package rice noodles
- 1 package firm tofu, cubed & toasted
- 1 bunch asparagus, thinly sliced
- 1 head baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 cup snap peas, shelled or chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 3-4 scallions, sliced thinly
- handful fresh cilantro, basil, mint
- lime wedges
How to Prepare Comforting Veggie and Tofu Pho [Vegan]
For the Pho Broth:
- In a large stock pot, combine the onion, garlic, ginger, leek, veggies and spices in a large stock pot. Cover with 4 quarts of water and bring to a boil for 30 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Next, add the tamari, ume plum vinegar and paste and coconut sugar and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove the spices and veggies, leaving a fine broth.
- Add the sesame oil and lime juice. Taste and season as needed.
For the Pho Noodle Soup:
- Heat a skillet with a splash of sesame oil and tamari, add the cubed tofu and cook until lightly brown and toasted. Remove and set aside.
- In a pot, bring water to a boil and blanch the rice noodles, avoid soggy noodles from over-cooking!
- To serve, add the noodles, veggies and tofu to each bowl.
- Pour hot broth over top and garnish with fresh herbs and lime. If you like it spicy, flavor with your favorite hot sauce.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 309 | Carbs: 22g | Fat: 5g | Protein: 11g | Sodium: 24mg | Sugar: 4g 309 22 5 11 12 1Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.