This is one of those recipes that WOWS non-vegans and has both nut-free and gluten-free options. I made this "cheesecake" in the hopes to make a cheesecake base that has the potential to be nut-free. I have several in my recipe index that have cashew centers. They are delicious, but I wanted people to have some options. After some research, I found that most people who have tree nut allergies are not allergic to coconut. Wahoo! It was a huge hit. No one could tell it was vegan and no one could taste the secret ingredient: avocado.
No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 2 cups dry cookies
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan butter
For the Filling:
- 1 large avocado (ripe)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- Scant 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 2-3 tablespoons vanilla-infused bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup nut butter (I used natural peanut butter. You could easily choose almond butter or cashew butter as well. For a nut-free option, you can use sunflower seed butter or chocolate tahini.)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
To Make the Crust:
- Grease an 8 inch spring form pan with coconut oil. Set it aside.
- In your food processor, combine the cookies and vegan butter and pulse. You should end up with a fine meal. Press the crumbs/meal into the bottom of the spring form pan. Try to make the crust as even as possible.
To Make the Filling:
- In your food processor, combine all of the filling ingredients - it's that easy! Puree the ingredients until they are nice and silky smooth.
- Pour the filling onto your prepared crust. Using a spatula, even out the filling. Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least an hour.
- After the hour has elapsed, you can make the ganache/sauce and pour it on.
- ***TIP*** If your ganache is a bit chunky, heat it up. It just means that your coconut oil is too cold (sometimes from the coldness of chilled maple syrup).
- Refrigerate the cheesecake for another 30-60 minutes. Serve it cold and, remember, store it in the fridge when it's not being eaten. The filling will soften up to a pudding consistency and make it difficult to cut.
Adapted from Comfy Belly