A classic French dessert, creme brulée, which translates to "burnt cream," is a cold, creamy, rich custard beneath a crisp coating of burnt sugar. To get to the custard, you need to break through the sugar, and with each mouthful, you get crunchy bits of caramelized sugar as well. There is decadence in every spoonful of creme brulée, which traditionally requires eggs and heavy cream. This easy, no-bake creme brulée replaces cream with full-fat coconut milk and eggs with custard powder. Serve with fresh mango for a luxurious flavor combo of creamy custard with sweet, juicy mango.
No-Bake Creme Brulée [Vegan]
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/4 tablespoons vegan vanilla custard powder
- 3 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 mango, freshly cut and cubed (optional), for serving
- Dissolve the custard powder in 2 tablespoons cold/room temperature coconut milk. Set aside.
- Boil the remaining coconut milk with 2 tablespoons sugar
- Remove from heat and stir in the dissolved custard powder.
- Keep stirring until the custard thickens. It should be thick, but still pourable.
- Divide custard between two 4-ounce ramekins. Cover with foil/cling wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, until completely chilled and set.
- Just before serving, sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar on the top of each custard and brulée with a blow torch until caramelized. Alternatively, you can caramelize 2 teaspoons of sugar over medium heat until golden brown and pour a thin layer over the chilled custard.
- Refrigerate for about 5 minutes to let the sugar set, and serve with mango.