With its velvety coconut sauce, this new potato and pea curry makes a comforting spring recipe that's light and warming at the same time. Plus, this is a great recipe to make at the beginning of the week and use as an easy lunch or a quick dinner down the line.
New Potato and Pea Curry With Yellow Split Peas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1.1 pounds new potatoes, cut into 1-inch squares
- 10.5 ounces frozen peas
- 1 cup yellow split lentils
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons garam masala or mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 lemons, juiced
- A small bunch of coriander
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, curry powder, ground cumin, turmeric, chili powder, and grated ginger.
- Cook the mixture for 3-5 minutes until onion is soft.
- Mix in tomato paste.
- Add the new potatoes, chopped tomatoes, stock, and yellow split lentils. Mix well. Bring to boil.
- Lower the heat. Add the coconut milk and then cook the mixture, covered, for around 30 minutes until the potatoes are just done.
- Stir them from time to time so that the vegetables do not stick at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the peas then cook the mixture for another 10 minutes until potatoes are done.
- Season the curry with lemon juice.
- Serve it with freshly chopped coriander on top.