With its velvety coconut sauce, this new potato and pea curry makes a comforting spring recipe that's light and warming at the same time. Plus, this is a great recipe to make at the beginning of the week and use as an easy lunch or a quick dinner down the line.
New Potato and Pea Curry With Yellow Split Peas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for New Potato and Pea Curry With Yellow Split Peas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1.1 pounds new potatoes, cut into 1-inch squares
- 10.5 ounces frozen peas
- 1 cup yellow split lentils
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons garam masala or mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 lemons, juiced
- A small bunch of coriander
How to Prepare New Potato and Pea Curry With Yellow Split Peas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, curry powder, ground cumin, turmeric, chili powder, and grated ginger.
- Cook the mixture for 3-5 minutes until onion is soft.
- Mix in tomato paste.
- Add the new potatoes, chopped tomatoes, stock, and yellow split lentils. Mix well. Bring to boil.
- Lower the heat. Add the coconut milk and then cook the mixture, covered, for around 30 minutes until the potatoes are just done.
- Stir them from time to time so that the vegetables do not stick at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the peas then cook the mixture for another 10 minutes until potatoes are done.
- Season the curry with lemon juice.
- Serve it with freshly chopped coriander on top.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.