Cannelloni are typically stuffed with meat or cheese, but these use an all-vegetable filling instead. White Button and Porcini mushrooms are sautéed with aromatics, an anise-flavored liqueur, and cheesy nutritional yeast then blended then stuffed inside cannelloni. It's topped with a simple sunflower seed cream and garnished with fresh dill. This stuffed cannelloni are a dish fit for any special occasion.
Mushroom Stuffed Cannelloni With Sunflower Seed Cream [Vegan]
For the Cannelloni:
- 8.8 ounces vegan cannelloni
- 14 ounces White Button mushrooms, sliced
- .5 ounces dried Porcini mushrooms
- 14 ounces leeks, sliced
- 1 small fennel, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch of dill, finely chopped
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons anise-flavoured liqueur
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds and black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
For the Sunflower Seed Cream:
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked overnight
- 1 big garlic clove
- 1/3 bunch of dill
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup, plus 3 tablespoons sunflower seed soaking water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- Soak porcini mushrooms in 1 cup non-dairy milk for 2 hours. Then, finely chop them and set milk aside. Soak the sunflower seeds in water.
- In a big non-sticking frying pan, place Porcini along with all the other vegetables and cook over medium heat. After a while, pour in some oil and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Then, pour liqueur and stir until all liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat.
- In the meantime, make the cream by blending all its ingredients in a food processor until creamy.
- Pulse the vegetables in a food processor too (don’t purée them, just chop them so that you can fill the cannelloni easily). Add in the vegetable filling and 3 tablespoons of the cream, then stir to combine.
- Fill the cannelloni with a spoon and lay them on a greased baking dish. Pour 1 cup milk into the sunflower cream and stir it. Pour it over the pasta. Then, pour the rest of the milk.
- Top with nutritional yeast, sesame, and poppy seeds. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven at 355°F for 1/2 hour until pasta is soft.
- Then, uncover and let cook for another 5-10 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
- Top with freshly ground pepper and finely chopped dill.