You are going to fall in love with this elegant yet comforting gnocchi dish. The pillow-y pockets of potato are tossed in a rich, creamy stroganoff-inspired sauce, made from a mix of white wine, mushrooms, tomato paste, and cashew cream. The flavors simmer and meld together in the most beautiful and luscious way!
Mushroom Stroganoff Gnocchi [Vegan]
For the Gnocchi:
- 1 16-ounce package of vegan gnocchi
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight or for at least 2 hours
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes, or until translucent, then add in the mushrooms and garlic. Sauté for another 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. Add the wine, tomato paste, thyme, salt, and pepper and turn the heat up to high. Let the wine reduce by about half.
- While the wine is reducing, boil some water for your gnocchi and prepare according to package. Also, drain your soaked cashews and blend with 1 cup of vegetable broth in a high-speed blender for 1-5 minutes (depending on strength of blender). You want the cashew mixture to be very smooth.
- Pour the cashew mixture into the sauce and stir. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until sauce has thickened as desired.
- Once the gnocchi are done cooking, drain them, and add them to the sauce. Toss to coat, then serve with some freshly chopped parsley and some white wine.