The flavor of this soup is intensely rich tomatoes with soft eggplant and then a little bit of texture from the chickpeas. It is so amazing how simple ingredients can create such deep and developed flavors. Dishes like this are best eaten with lots of complimentary yet contrasting flavors, so serve with creamy hummus, smoky red pepper dip, crunchy flatbreads, and a big rice salad with generous amounts of fresh herbs.
Moussaka: Eggplant and Chickpea Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 eggplants diced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large tomatoes – skinned and deseeded
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint – finely chopped
- 1 can cooked chickpeas – drained
- Add the eggplant to a large baking tray and toss them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Roast on for 30 minutes until browned.
- Add the remaining oil to a large pan and add in the onion, fry on a low to medium heat until soft and slightly browning. Add the garlic and cook for a further few minutes.
- Next add the tomatoes, tomato purée, paprika, eggplant, and chickpeas. Cook for approximately 20 minutes. Add water if needed. Finally season with salt and the fresh mint.