Hearty and comforting Moroccan Red Lentil Soup is a filling and delicious dish for any night of the week. Warm African spices make this dish extra special.
Moroccan Red Lentil Soup [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Topping:
- 1 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 3-4 tablespoon fresh cilantro
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook until softened about 5 minutes.
Add coriander, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in broth, water and lentils; bring to simmer.
Simmer vigorously, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and tender, about 15 to 18 minutes.
Whisk soup until smooth, about 30 seconds. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt.
Before serving; melt the butter in small skillet; remove from heat and stir in mint and paprika.
Ladle soup into individual bowls, drizzle each portion with 1tsp spiced butter, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.