A tuna salad without actual tuna may seem like a hard sell, but it will become one of your favorites! The secret ingredient is dulse - a superior source of minerals and trace elements we need daily for optimal health.
Mock Tuna Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds soaked in water for 2 hours
- 3 to 4 celery ribs diced
- 2 scallions diced
- 2 tablespoons dulse flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
For the Dressing:
- 2/3 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup coconut water or purified water
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- In a food processor, puree the sunflower seeds until they are a slightly chunky pâté. Transfer to a bowl.
- Mix in the celery, scallions, dulse flakes and dill. Stir well and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing: In a blender, combine all the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour the dressing over salad, toss to mix well and serve.
To soak the sunflower seeds, in a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, cover the seeds with 4 cups (946 ml) of water. Leave them on the counter to soak for 2 hours. After they are done soaking, drain and rinse them in a strainer. Look for dulse flakes in your local health food store. You could use kelp powder instead, if you can’t find the dulse flakes. Mock tuna salad is a great anytime meal. AT meals are lower in carbs, focusing more on high-quality plant protein plus healthy fats and high-fibre vegetables.