A lot of the time, mushrooms are added to a dish as an afterthought. This stew really lets the mushrooms shine and shows off their rich and earthy flavor. From the picture, the stew also looks very heavy and creamy. However, it’s actually quite light and balanced, making it perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
Mixed Mushroom Stew [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 large carrot
- 14 ounces mixed mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and dice the carrot. Brush any dirt off the mushrooms and chop into pieces. Set the mushrooms and carrots aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, and rosemary and cook for 5 minutes until the garlic and herbs are fragrant. Add the chopped mushrooms, white wine vinegar, vegetable broth, and coconut milk to the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, making sure the carrots are tender.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley before serving.
Credit from Awesome Vegan Soups by Vanessa Croessmann, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017 Photo credit: Vanessa Croessmann