Have you ever heard of the Italian chocolate hazelnut paste called ‘Nutella’? I bet you probably have! Like most children in Belgium, I grew up eating tons of Nutella sandwiches for breakfast. They were my favorite weekend treat. They even inspired me to create this super simple recipe for Mini Nutella Doughnuts with Salted Coffee Caramel (don’t worry: there’s no real coffee in them). I love enjoying these guilt-free chocolate treats with a nice cup of green tea. I hope you will like them too!
Mini Doughnuts With Salted Coffee Caramel [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
4 small donuts
- ½ cup of hazelnuts
- ½ cup of cashews
- ½ cup of almonds, soaked for 8 to 12 hours and dehydrated until crisp
- ¼ cup of date paste
- 3 tablespoons of cacao, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon of carob powder (or extra cacao and sweetener)
- 20 drops of coffee extract (optional)
- 2 large pinches of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt (or more to taste)
- 6 tablespoons of date paste
- 1 teaspoon of orange or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of coffee extract (or more to taste)
- 2 large pinches of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest, finely chopped
- 1 small piece of star anise, grated
- Combine hazelnuts, cashews and almonds in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Process until finely ground.
- Add date paste, cacao, carob powder, coffee extract and salt. Process again until everything is well combined. Taste and add more sweetener or cacao if needed.
- Shape the sticky dough into small donuts. Leave a hole in the middle of each donut but cover the bottom of each hole with chocolate dough so the coffee caramel won’t just drip out.
- Place the donuts in the refrigerator so they can firm up while you prepare the coffee caramel.
- Combine date paste, orange juice, coffee extract and salt in a small mixing bowl. Stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Fill every donut hole with coffee caramel.
- Garnish with finely chopped orange zest and grated star anise for extra flavor.
These chocolate donuts will stay fresh for at least 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Replace the almonds with extra hazelnuts if you prefer chocolate donuts with a really strong Nutella flavor. Not so fond of the orange anise combination? Try garnishing the chocolate donuts with finely chopped cacao nibs & goji berries