Hurry up and make these mini gluten-free and vegan ice cream cakes. They're perfect for a date night dessert, and make a great two-bite healthy dessert to keep in the freezer for a few days.
Mini Minty Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cakes [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup nuts
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup pitted dates (pre-soaked if not soft)
- Maple syrup (to taste)
Ice Cream Layer
- 3 cups frozen banana slices
- 1 handful fresh mint (or sub 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk or coconut cream
- Maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 small ripe avocado
- 3 squares peppermint chocolate
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1/8 cup coconut milk
- Add all ingredients except maple syrup to food processor. Pulse to break up nuts and dates then blend to form a sticky dough. Taste, add maple syrup to sweeten. Blend the syrup in. Divide the dough into 12 equal sized balls. Place balls in a mini muffin pan (1 ball per mini muffin holder). Press down gently on each ball to flatten into the base of the mini muffin pan. Place in freezer while you prepare filling.
Add mint and water to a high speed blender. Puree together. Strain mixture into a glass through a fine mesh sieve. Clean blender. Pour strained liquid back into the blender. Add remaining ingredients (except half the bananas) and puree until smooth. Add the rest of the bananas and puree until smooth. Taste! Add maple syrup to sweeten to your taste . Blend in the syrup. Taste again to ensure mixture is sweet enough. Divide mixture evenly between the mini muffin molds. Put tray in freezer to set (a couple of hours). Carefully loosen the frozen ice cream cakes with a butter knife. Tilt pan to free them from the pan. Arrange on a plate and enjoy or transfer to fridge or freezer to eat later.
Melt together over lowest heat in a small pot, stirring until smooth. Remove ice cream cakes from mold. Arrange on a plate and drizzle over hot fudge topping.