A vegan Reuben? That's right. Delicious, savory, and filled with plant-based goodness, these sandwiches are addicting. It can be hard to give up your favorite sandwich when you decide to eat more plant-based foods … That is, until you learn that you can make everything you’ve ever dreamed of, like this vegan Reuben sandwich! It recreates the flavor of a classic deli reuben with ingredients and spices that mimic the original to a T. It’s packed with veggie bacon, sauerkraut, and deliciously spiced onions. Grilling the rye bread makes all the difference, so don’t skip that step! Try out this vegan Reuben for your next lunch! You'll be glad you did!
Mayim Bialik’s Reuben Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Thousand Island Dressing:
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons dill pickles
For the Sautéed Onions:
- diced sautéed onions
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- To make the onions, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic, bay leaves, paprika, caraway seeds, dill, salt, vinegar, tamari, and pepper. Add the water and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated. Remove the bay leaves.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spread two slices of the bread with margarine. Grill in a small skillet, margarine side down, for 3 minutes on one side only. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.
- To assemble each sandwich, spread the dressing on the ungrilled sides of two slices of toast. Add the sauerkraut, two pieces of vegan bacon, and the sautéed onions.
This recipe is from Mayim’s Vegan Table: More Than 100 Great-Tasting and Healthy Recipes from My Family to Yours by Mayim Bialik with Dr. Jay Gordon. Reprinted courtesy of Da Capo Lifelong Books.