This recipe does take a little time and a lot of love, but the end result is well worth it! These gorgeous and decadent rolls are perfect for a cozy morning. Plus, at only 170 calories each, you can indulge in more than one guilt-free!
Sticky Maple Glazed Cinnamon Raisins Rolls [Vegan]
To Make the Dough:
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup almond or soy milk, lightly warmed, but not too hot!
- 1 package yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plus more for rolling out dough)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Olive oil for brushing
To Make the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
To Make the Icing:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons almond or soy milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a small bowl mix together flax meal and water and set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together warmed milk, yeast, and sugar. Let mixture sit for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and frothy. Once the yeast is activated, stir in melted coconut oil, flax meal mixture, salt, and whole wheat pastry flour. Stir until well combined.
- Slowly add all-purpose flour 1/4 cup at a time. Add flour until dough is soft, but not too sticky. The dough should be easy to work with without sticking to hands. Add raisins and knead for around 5 minutes in the bowl if large enough or on a floured surface.
- Once the dough is ready, form a ball, brush top with olive oil and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm area. Let sit for 1 hour or longer if needed. The dough should rise and become airy.
- When the dough is almost ready, prepare filling ingredients by mixing together melted coconut oil, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spray an 8-inch cake pan with cooking spray or lightly oil and set aside.
- Once the dough has risen, roll out on a floured surface into a 8x12-inch rectangle. Evenly sprinkle filling mixture onto rectangle. Roll up the dough the long way until you have a log shape. Cut into 10 rolls and place in prepared cake pan. Cover cake pan and let the dough rise again for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Once dough has risen, bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden and firm. Let cool.
- To make glaze, whisk together milk, powdered sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Drizzle on top of cinnamon rolls.
- Serve warm and enjoy!