This maple banana tiramisu trifle is my raw-vegan mash-up of two favorite European desserts: English trifle and Italian tiramisu. The result is a sophisticated dessert worthy of any fancy tabletop. A trifle is made with fruit, sponge fingers soaked in fortified wine or sherry, and custard. Tiramisu is made with coffee-soaked ladyfingers, sweet mascarpone cream, and cocoa. This tiramisu trifle has a delicious cashew cream filling, banana slices, and a cacao drizzle. It will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth and impress your friends. This is one luscious treat.
Maple Banana Tiramisu Trifle [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
For the Cream:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked and drained
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup cold-brewed coffee or 1 teaspoon coffee extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the Chocolate Sauce Drizzle:
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 bananas
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cacao powder for garnish
To Make the Cream:
- Place the cashews, sea salt, almond milk, cold-brewed coffee, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and lemon juice in a blender and blend until very creamy.
To Make the Chocolate Sauce Drizzle:
- Whisk the cacao powder, maple syrup, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl until smooth.
- If you have one, transfer it to a squirt bottle, or leave it in the bowl until ready to use.
To Assemble the Trifle:
- Cut each of the bananas into 3 even sections. Slice each section in half lengthwise (you will have 18 total pieces of banana). Place 2 of the banana sections in the bottom of a 3 3⁄4x4 1⁄4-inch trifle glass or ramekin.
- Repeat in a second glass or ramekin. Squirt chocolate sauce (or drizzle with a spoon) along the rims of the glasses all the way around, reserving some for garnish. Next, add enough cream to cover the bananas. Layer another 2 bananas sections on top, then the cream.
- Stand up the remaining 10 banana sections vertically around the sides of each glass (5 per glass), then pour in the cream to the top. Gently sift cacao powder on top and garnish with a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
- Serve immediately or let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.