Mango sticky rice is a sweet, creamy, and tangy dessert that’s popular in Thailand. Find sticky rice, also called Thai sweet rice or glutinous rice, at Asian markets. Cut the mango and whip up the indulgent coconut sauce. This is such an easy vegan recipe for mango sticky rice. It makes a delicious and indulgent dessert.
Mango Sticky Rice [Vegan]
- 2 cups Thai sweet rice
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large mango, cubed
- Garnishes: additional lime zest, black sesame seeds
- Soak the Rice for at least 4 hours or overnight
- In Thailand they steam the rice, but if you don't have a steamer, add the rice with water to a saucepan, bring it to a boil and cook over low heat until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked (about 10-15 minutes, but cooking time may vary depending on the type of rice you’re using). Add more water if needed.
- While rice cooks, make the sauce. Whisk together the coconut milk, coconut sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and lime zest in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for around 5 minutes, whisking frequently. Leave to cool and the sauce will thicken slightly
- Assemble the Mango Sticky Rice by serving the rice in bowls, add the mango, top with sauce, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and lime zest.
- Serve immediately.