This dairy-free mac and cheese is everything you love about homemade mac and cheese. The sauce is rich, creamy, not too thin, and not too thick. The addition of vegetables, especially mushrooms and bell peppers cooked in plenty of spices, amplifies the flavors even more. This dairy-free mac and cheese is everything you've ever wanted. Fair warning: make it once and you won't be able to stop making it!
Mac and Cheese With Mushrooms, Peppers, and Spinach [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Mac and Cheese:
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups bell peppers, sliced
- 2 cups Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups fresh spinach or spinach blend
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon your favorite spice blend
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- A few dashes of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free pasta
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Slice up the vegetables and chop the garlic. Heat the olive oil on medium-low in a large non-stick pan.
- Add the seasonings and sauté for 2-3 minutes to release their flavors. Add the garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the rest of the vegetables, one at a time, and sauté for about 5 minutes after each addition (onions, then peppers, etc...) Set aside.
- To make the sauce, melt the vegan butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk the flour and milk together in a small bowl. Stir the milk mixture into the saucepan and add the rest of the ingredients. Turn the heat up a little and cook and stir for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken. Set aside.
- Boil a few quarts of water and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and stir into the sauteed veggies. Stir in the sauce. Heat on low for a few minutes before serving.