Lumpiang gulay is a Filipino spring roll filled with vegetables. This recipe fills these crispy treats with cabbages, sweet potatoes, and green beans and serves the rolls with some spicy vinegar to dip them in.
Lumpiang Gulay: Filipino Spring Roll With Cabbage and Sweet Potato [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 head large cabbage, shredded
- 6 pieces rehydrated Shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green beans, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt, to taste
- Spring roll wrappers
For the Spicy Vinegar:
- 1 1/2 cups cane vinegar
- 4 red chilis, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all the Lumpiang Togue ingredient together except for the wrapper.
- Heat up a wok filled with oil for deep frying.
- Take one piece of lumpia wrapper and lay it with one edge pointing to your direction.
- Place three tablespoons of the vegetable mix in the bottom part of the wrapper near the edge.
- Now start rolling and when it reaches third of the way fold the left and right edges to keep the contents from going outside the sides.
- Dampen the top edge of the wrapper to seal the roll.
- Deep fry immediately. Do not set them aside as the liquid content might make the wrapper soggy.
- Now continue with the remaining ingredients.
- Once cooked, remove the rolls from the oil then place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Mix all the vinegar dip ingredients together.
- Serve the rolls hot together with the vinegar dip.