Now you may have seen this available at the store before but I have to tell you making your own is absolute heaven! Plus, you get about double the amount for half the price and it’s super duper easy to make. Pretty much anything you love to dip, you can dip into this delectable yammus/sweet potato hummus recipe and I promise you that you will fall in love with it! I’ve added some smokey savory spices to kick up the mild yam flavor such as roasted cumin, curry powder, and smoked paprika which is a delight mixed with the sweet notes of the yams/sweet potatoes and the apple cider vinegar. Especially if you are not a fan of traditional lemony/garlicky hummus, I know you will like this because it has a lot of flavor without any of the harsh bite. It’s also great to use to slather in vegetable sandwiches, wraps, pitas, and more instead of high fat mayonnaise. And best of all because it’s low in fat, it’s lower in calories so there’s no guilt if you eat a bowl of it with a plate of veggies for a meal or snack. All you need to make your own yammus/sweet potato hummus is a food processor or high powered blender with a plunger (such as a Vitamix). The natural moisture in baked yams/sweet potatoes makes it easy to cream together with chickpeas and just a touch of tahini. If you’re looking for something fun yet healthy to serve at potlucks, barbecues, or dinner parties, this yammus is sure to be a hit. No need for the standard ranch dip and veggies or bland and oily store bought hummus. Plus, when you make your own dips, you can control the amount of fat, salt, and spices you put in it and come up with your own perfect combo of deliciousness to dip your veggies into!
Low-Fat Sweet Potato Hummus [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Low-Fat Sweet Potato Hummus [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cups mashed yam/sweet potato (1 lb/454g yam/sweet potato; I used 2 small)
- 2-3 cloves garlic (roasted garlic is even better, I used previously frozen garlic cloves as its not as strong as raw garlic)
- 1 15 oz. can sodium free chickpeas/garbanzos, drained (reserve some liquid and set aside)
- 2-3 tbsp chickpea liquid (or as needed to cream hummus)
- 3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Herbamare or salt (or to taste)
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
How to Prepare Low-Fat Sweet Potato Hummus [Vegan]
- Poke holes in yam/sweet potato and bake at 400 F/205 C for 45-60 minutes (depending on size). Set aside when cool.
- Pulse garlic in food processor until chopped and then add remaining ingredients. (Make sure to slice open and peel yam/sweet potato and scoop flesh out, don’t use the peel.)
- Process until smooth and adjust consistency as desired with reserved chickpea liquid. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with veggie sticks, veggie rounds, pita and more!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.