Meet your holiday table’s new best friend. The party-goers at the Thanksgiving celebration I brought this to gobbled it up and begged for the recipe. I don’t understand how vegetables can taste so good, and frankly, I don’t really care. All I know is that I’m getting hungry. Start by making your golden puree. I didn’t give exact measurements for the spices because I want to encourage sampling. Be the master of your domain. Taste as you go! It’s liberating. And delicious.
Butternut Squash Casserole [Vegan]
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2-3 tablespoons almond milk
- Salt and pepper
- Curry powder
- 1 cup vegan mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set it aside.
- Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds and flesh. Place the two halves on the baking sheet cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven at 450°F for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until soft, golden, and completely cooked through. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Scoop the squash flesh into a large bowl. Mash in the almond milk one tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency, and add sweetener, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and curry powder to taste. Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender and puree until smooth.
- Grease an 8-inch baking dish. Scoop the squash puree into the dish, top evenly with the mini marshmallows, and bake in the oven at 375°F until cooked through and golden on top.
- Broil for a minute or until the marshmallows are beautifully browned.