Loubia B'Zeit, green beans and tomatoes in oil, is a popular side dish in Mediterranean countries where the world's best olive oil comes from. In this dish, fresh tomatoes and green beans are braised in olive oil and tomatoes sauce until tender. Although it's best served at room temperature as a side to a larger meal, it's just as enjoyable while still warm.
Loubia B’Zeit: Mediterranean Green Beans With Tomatoes [Vegan]
- 2.2 pounds fresh green beans
- 3 tomatoes, chopped in big chunks
- 10 garlic cloves, 7 whole for the pan, and 3 crushed with the sauce
- 2 red onions, chopped finely
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 green chili, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Start by cutting off both pointy ends of the green beans.
- In a large sautée pan, place the green beans layer first then add garlic, onion, and chili. Finally, add the tomatoes and sauce on top, then add a drizzle of olive oil and the remaining garlic.
- Keep on high heat until it boils, about 5 minutes. Bring the heat back down and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes. Stir, remove from heat and serve.