Fresh, nourishing & crunchy – this late summer lentil salad is a healthy and easy dish that fills you up more than just a regular salad. Lentils, which are high in plant protein, are satisfying and nutritious. But the late August zucchinis, corn, greens, herbs, capers and lingonberries all create a tasty combo and add crispiness. The tangy dressing gives this salad the final flavor bomb. Yum!
Lentil Salad With Crunchy Veggies & Herbs [Vegan]
For the salad:
- 1 cup beluga lentils, rinsed (uncooked)
- 1 white (or green) zucchini
- About 1 cup of chopped kale
- 1 cup canned corn
- About 1/2 cup of finely chopped parsley
- About 1/4 cup of finely chopped celery leaves
- A handful of chopped spring onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons dried lingonberries (or 1/4 cup dried cranberries)
- Avocado (for topping, optional)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup (or agave)
- 1 heaping teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 clove, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the lentils into a pot and cover with 2 cups of water. Bring to boil and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Don’t overcook them! Lentils still should have a slight crisp.
- When the lentils are done, rinse them with cold water to cool and stir in 1/2 tsp salt. Let them sit while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Prepare the dressing – place all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir well. Taste test and adjust it to your liking.
- Chop the zucchini in small, bite-size pieces and add to a big bowl. Add the rest of the salad ingredients and cooked lentils. Mix well. Add the dressing and give salad the final stir.
- Serve with thinly sliced avocado on the side.
Don't use canned lentils.