Traditionally, ragout is a sauce made with meat and served over pasta, otherwise known as bolognese. Ok, here comes my rebellious moment ... I'm NOT going to add meat to my ragu sauce! This is between you and me; I do not want the Sociedad de l'Accademia Italiana della Cucina to hear about this. There's no telling what they might do! Try this fantastic lentil ragout!
Lentil Ragout With Mushrooms [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil Ragout With Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup bell pepper (red, green or yellow), diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups chopped or sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups cooked lentils (well drained)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cashews unsalted and unroasted (raw)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- Zest of one large lemon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
How to Prepare Lentil Ragout With Mushrooms [Vegan]
- In a large pot with lid, preferably thick bottom, put the olive oil and onion over medium heat.
- When the onion is soft, about 5-7min, add garlic and pepper with a pinch of salt. Stir occasionally until the pepper is tender.
- Put the mushrooms, lentils, oregano, basil and tomato sauce.
- Cover and let cook about 20 min. over low heat. Do not boil.
- Add salt and pepper and cook quinoa or pasta for serving according to package directions.
- Toast the cashew until lightly brown. Grind them when cool.
- Mix the cashew powder with the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir into other ingredients and serve over quinoa or pasta.
This sauce is delicious over quinoa or pasta, even better if you get quinoa pasta. To cook the lentils (for 3 cups cooked lentils add 1 1/2 cups lentils) just put them in a large pot covered with water. Leave them a while until this soft.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 321 | Carbs: 39 g | Fat: 13 g | Protein: 16 g | Sodium: 1724 mg | Sugar: 8 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.