These lentil dumplings are a delicious and satisfying Indian dish, infused with aromatic spices and tons of flavor. Adding the rice flour to the mixture helps to make them crispy.
Lentil Dumplings: Savory Indian Donuts [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups of uzhunnu/urad dal/lentil(the one used to make dosa batter)
- 1-2 chopped green chili
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped ginger
- Curry leaves, finely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons of rice flour
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Oil for deep fry
- Wash and soak the urad dal for about 4-5 hours.
- Drain out excess water and grind it in a mixer to form a fine paste. Use just enough water to grind the dal.
- Remove it into a bowl and add rice flour, ginger, onion, curry leaves, green chilly and salt and give it a mix.
- The mixture should be of the consistency that you should be able to form smooth, soft and loose balls out of it.
- In a deep bottom pan, heat the oil. Once hot, maintain the heat between medium and high.
- Wet your palms and grab a handfull of the mixture and form a smooth ball. Press it gently between your palms to flatten them.
- Dip your pointer finger in water and poke it in the center of it.
- Drop it into the oil. Once, the vada gets golden brown in colour on one side, flip it.
- Drain out excess oil and remove it onto plate lined with paper towel.
- Serve it with coconut chutney.
- Makes about 9-10 vadas.
You could store the batter in the refrigerator , if the batter turns out to be excess for one serve. You could fry the dumplings, leave them to cool, and then refrigerate it too.