These lentil dumplings are a delicious and satisfying Indian dish, infused with aromatic spices and tons of flavor. Adding the rice flour to the mixture helps to make them crispy.
Lentil Dumplings: Savory Indian Donuts [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil Dumplings: Savory Indian Donuts [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups of uzhunnu/urad dal/lentil(the one used to make dosa batter)
- 1-2 chopped green chili
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped ginger
- Curry leaves, finely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons of rice flour
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Oil for deep fry
How to Prepare Lentil Dumplings: Savory Indian Donuts [Vegan]
- Wash and soak the urad dal for about 4-5 hours.
- Drain out excess water and grind it in a mixer to form a fine paste. Use just enough water to grind the dal.
- Remove it into a bowl and add rice flour, ginger, onion, curry leaves, green chilly, and salt and give it a mix.
- The mixture should be of the consistency that you should be able to form smooth, soft, and loose balls out of it.
- In a deep bottom pan, heat the oil. Once hot, maintain the heat between medium and high.
- Wet your palms and grab a handful of the mixture and form a smooth ball. Press it gently between your palms to flatten them.
- Dip your pointer finger in water and poke it in the center of it.
- Drop it into the oil. Once, the vada gets golden brown in color on one side, flip it.
- Drain out excess oil and remove it onto plate lined with paper towel.
- Serve it with coconut chutney.
- Makes about 9-10 vadas.
- You could store the batter in the refrigerator if the batter turns out to be excess for one serve. - You could fry the dumplings, leave them to cool, and then refrigerate it too.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 119 | Carbs: 22 g | Fat: 0 g | Protein: 7 g | Sodium: 2 mg | Sugar: 1 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.