While doughnuts feel like a fancier dessert to make, they're actually as easy as baking muffins. All you need is a doughnut pan, which pretty much does half the work. Once the actual doughnut, in this case, nutty poppy seed, is done all you have to do is smear the sweet, lemony icing over them.
Lemon Poppy Seeds Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a standard-sized doughnut pan.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar with the almond milk. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes. It will look like curdled milk.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and lemon zest. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, and salt.
- To the bowl with the sugar, add the canola oil and the vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix until incorporated.
- Spoon batter into the doughnut moulds, filling almost to the top. Bake for 15 minutes, or until puffed and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the doughnut comes out clean. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before putting on the glaze.
For the Glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk the confectioner's sugar with the lemon juice, keep whisking until smooth.
- Dip doughnuts into glaze, allow glaze to drip back, transfer to a wire rack to set.