These tangy lemon bars have a buttery shortcrust base and a juicy, tangy jelly topping, kinda like a lemon meringue pie in a bar! Perfect for picnics, grab and go snacks or dessert. The recipe is really flexible too, so you could try adding different flavors, or using a different fruit for the jelly topping. You could even bake these in a tart shape and add an aquafaba meringue topping for a proper lemon meringue pie!
Lemon Bars [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon agar agar powder
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 large lemons, juiced and zested
- 3 tabespoons arrowroot
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1/8 teapsoon turmeric
- Preheat oven to 360ºF and lightly grease a small baking pan.
- Prepare crust by adding coconut sugar to a food processor and blending to a fine powder. Now add in the flour, vegan butter, cornflour and salt and pulse until it forms a fine crumb.
- Spread the mix into the prepared baking tin and press into a firm even layer. Chill for around 15 minutes and then bake for 35-40 minutes, until firm and golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the filling by adding agar agar to a small pan with the cold water. Allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze and zest lemons and mix with the arrowroot powder.
- Heat up agar agar and bring to a boil. Add the icing sugar and turmeric and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Lower the heat and add in the lemon juice, zest and arrowroot. Keep whisking continuously until thick and smooth.
- Pour the mix onto prepared crust and chill in the fridge until firm, about 1-2 hours. Slice into squares and serve. Keep well in an airtight container for up to 4 days, or frozen up to 1 month.