Oh ricotta ... how I miss you. But, turns out, I don't need you... sorry to be so blunt, but I've moved on. Cashew cheese is here! Lemon and ricotta... and blueberries, what a classic combo. Usually, when I'm making vegan pancakes, I normally use some mashed ripe bananas that I basically always have handy, I didn't need to of course, I could have just used more cashew cheese or almond milk, but guess what... lemon and ricotta cashew cheese and blueberries AND BANANA?? It's even more TASTY!
Vegan Lemon Banana Ricotta Pancakes With Dried Blueberry Compote [Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup oats
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1/2 cup cashew cheese
- 4+ tbsp almond milk
- 2 cups cashews (soaked in water for at least 2 hours & drained)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
Dried Blueberry Compote (off-season):
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries (or frozen will do!)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- water (enough to cover blueberries)
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp corn or potato starch
- Make the cashew cheese first, submerge 2 cups of cashews in water and let sit for at least 2 hours to soften up. Drain cashews and add all cheese ingredients to a blender, mix until smooth and set aside.
- Add dried or frozen berries, with enough water to cover them in a saucepan. Heat over low heat and add the syrup with cardomom and stir. Let sit simmering for approx. 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the starch and stir, let sit for a few more minutes on low while you prep the pancakes.
- Grind oats in a blender roughly, then add baking powder and pulse.
- Add in the ripe mashed bananas, the lemon juice and zest, cashew cheese and at least 4 tbsp almond milk and blend until smooth.
- The batter should be thicker than your average pancake batter, but spoon in more milk as needed to make sure it's not clumpy.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add some coconut oil or butter to grease the pan.
- Once the skillet is hot, ladle in the pancake batter. You may not see as many bubbles in this batter, so you'll have to look to the edges as they curl up a bit, to lift it a little and check the back side before you flip.
- Top pancakes with blueberries and maple syrup, and if you want to go the extra mile... throw some chopped nuts on too for drama.