This leek and kale tart with the sweet potato crust looks good, tastes good, and it will make you feel great. The sweet potato crust is topped with a savory custard and tender vegetables. This flashy tart is perfect for brunch, breakfast, or pretty much anytime you're in the mood for something delicious.
Leek and Kale Tart With Sweet Potato Crust [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1-2 baked sweet potatoes with skin (around 1 cup of mashed sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, ground in a small coffee grinder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
For the Custard:
- 3 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flax seed, plus 3 tablespoons water per egg)
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt
- A pinch of cayenne
- 2 tablespoons green chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast or finely grated smoked tofu
For the Tart:
- 4 big leeks, split lengthwise, cleaned and chopped into 1/4 inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup firmly packed kale, chopped very fine
- 1 tablespoons fresh dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
For the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cook your sweet potatoes in the oven our boil them until they are tender.
- Put all crust ingredients into a food processor and process them until they're smooth and mixed. The mixture will be sticky.
- Wet your hands with cold water and take the mixture out of the processor with your hands or you can use a spatula.
- With cold wet fingers, spread and press the mixture evenly on the bottom and sides of the pan.
- I also use a stainless steel butter knife to spread the dough. Put the prepared pan in the refrigerator.
To Make the Vegetables:
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the leeks and a little water.
- Cover and cook them until the leeks are very soft, reducing the heat as they cook. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Stir this from time to time.
- Add the kale, dill weed, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cook on low heat, with the top, on for another 3 minutes.
To Make the Custard:
- Whisk the flax eggs, yogurt, nutritional yeast (or smoked tofu), cayenne, and chives.
- When the leeks and kale are done, with a slotted spoon to drain any extra liquid, add the veggies to the custard.
- Mix this well and transfer to the prepared crust. Spread the mixture evenly and bake in the tart in a preheated oven until golden and the custard is set, 30 minutes.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes to settle, then cut into wedges and serve.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.