Delicious & very moist vegan Lebkuchen – Gingerbread Cake, ideal little dessert for a cozy Winter Afternoon during the hectic Christmas season.
Lebkuchen: Gingerbread Cake [Vegan]
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 5 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons gingerbread spice*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ounce sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon fancy molasses
- 1 1/3 ounce maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Line a 8x8 inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients before adding the wet ingredients one by one.
- Mix until well combined before pouring the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 30 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 mins in the baking pan before taking the cake out and let cool completely.
- Cut into 9 squares and dust with icing sugar.
Alternatively you can use: 1½ teaspoons ground ginger 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice