Kitchari has been Ayurveda’s age-old signature detox dish! The word “kitchari” (pronounced kitch-a-ree) in India means mixture of two or more grains. Easy to make and healthy to eat. Traditional Kitchari is made by mixing white basmati rice and split yellow mung dal. This dish takes a western twist with protein-rich quinoa in place of white basmati rice, which makes this Kitchari extra-nutritious and flavorful.
Kitchari – The Nutritious Ayurvedic Detox Dish [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Kitchari:
- 1 cup quinoa (preferably soaked for 3-4 hrs)
- 1 cup split mung beans (preferably soaked for 2-3 hrs)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin and mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1-2 teaspoons red chili powder (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime/lemon Juice
- Salt, to taste
- Approximately 2-4 cups of water
For the Raw Topping Sauce:
- 1 cup of assorted veggies (colorful peppers, zucchini, onion, avocado, cucumber, cherry tomatoes)
- 1-2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 -2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1-2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon lime/lemon juice
- Water as needed to make the sauce
- If you are using a pressure cooker you can cook the grains and make the kitchari all in one pot! First add the oil in the cooker pan and sauté the mustard and cumin seeds. Later on add the quinoa and beans mixing it slowly with the above mentioned spice powders. Sauté this for a minute until you smell the amazing aroma. Add water to cover the pot and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. The consistency should be thick and mushy.
- This can be easily done in a stockpot; the only difference is you need to cook the quinoa and mung beans separately following the packet directions. Later on, you can follow the same procedure for adding spices as given above.
- Mix all these ingredients in a bowl with the assorted veggies. For the best flavors to come out, keep these veggies marinated for about 30 mins.