Such a simple and filling salad, wow! For a gluten-free version, substitute quinoa for farro. Want a lower-carb version? Omit the farro and add more kale!
Kale Salad With Farro, Golden Raisins and Walnuts [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cups farro (uncooked)
- sea salt
- 4 large leaves kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 1/2 cups pitted green olives, preferably Castelvetrano, chopped
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon agave or maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the farro with 4 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer, partially covered, until the farro is tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the farro and spread it on a baking sheet to cool.
- Massage chopped kale with a drizzle of olive oil and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for 5 to 7 minutes, until lightly golden and fragrant. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled farro, kale, walnuts, olives, scallions, chives, raisins, crushed red pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, agave syrup and season with sea salt as needed.
- Toss until well combined, serve at room temperature and enjoy!